In 1879 the original Eagle Mountain House, a New England farm house accommodating twelve guests opens. The Cyrus and Marcia Gale family continue to operate the Inn and working farm, which produces much of the food enjoyed by their guests. The lower pasture is used for farming, grazing animals and procuring hay.
Late in the 1800's a "few" holes of golf were created and keep the hotel competitive with the other Jackson Hotels. This new sport had arrived from Scotland and was the latest rage!
The Inn is then expanded to two buildings accommodating up to 125 guests who enjoy the spectacular views, rural surroundings, the mountain's fresh air, and sports like skiing, hiking, snowshoeing, sledding and trout fishing.
The barn, original to this period, includes a Carriage House which is now used as a ballroom for up to 200 guests. This space originally housed horses and carriages, and was adapted for use as a garage for automobiles.
In 1915 the main inn was completely destroyed by fire; however, less than a year later the present Eagle Mountain House was rebuilt and re-opened in 1916. The Inn boasted a veranda, 75 guest rooms most with private bath. The elevator and main switch board located behind the front desk date from this time period.
World famous photographer Clifton Church documented many scenes around the original hotel and stayed on as a guest even after the 1915 fire. The Eagle Mountain House was one of the few hotels that had a darkroom which enabled Church to process his photographs. There are many original Church photographs on display throughout the hotel lobby and tavern. Church donated the "Jackson" sign that hangs on the famous covered bridge as you enter the village.
In 1923 Cyrus Gale (pictured left) dies and operation of the Eagle Mountain House is assumed by his son, Arthur.
During the hotel expansion a "dry" automatic sprinkler was installed, the first in any resort in New Hampshire. The system is constantly charged with compressed air which prevents the possibility of winter freeze-ups. Water from the 50,000-gallon tank is directly connected to the sprinkler system. Many believe this technology has preserved the loss of the Eagle Mountain House due to a fire. The Eagle Mountain House is one of the few original grand New Hampshire Hotels left standing today.
In 1991 the Eagle Mountain House est. 1879 is nominated by the Secretary of the Interior for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places and is approved by the Congress of the United States of America.
In 1995 the property is listed on the National Trust for Historic Preservation and joins the Balsams as the second property in New Hampshire awarded membership in Historic Hotels of America. Our mission is to return the Inn to its rightful place as the best year-round Grand Hotel in New Hampshire offering "hearty fare, cordial hospitality and wholesome recreational activities for the entire family!"